How to choose and check honey correctly
When choosing honey, the main thing is to determine its quality. After all, the quality of honey is the only condition for its nutritional and healing properties, and this is very important for honey treatment. Only that honey is truly natural, which is collected and produced in exclusively natural conditions, without interfering with the creation process and the composition of the product itself.
However, when choosing honey in a store or on the market, one cannot be sufficiently confident in the cleanliness and environmental friendliness of the collection site, as well as in exactly how the honey was produced. In addition, recently, honey that does not meet quality standards or is completely falsified has begun to appear more and more often. A wide variety of products are mixed with honey: cane sugar, potato, corn and other molasses, flour, chalk, etc.
One of the main criteria for the quality of honey, tested in laboratory conditions, is the diastase number.
Diastase is a catalyst of metabolic processes, the greater its number, the better and more useful honey, the brighter its medicinal properties, and the faster it begins to be absorbed by the body.
How to check honey that you are not sure of?
Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to check the quality of honey at home, because this requires a whole laboratory with chemical reagents.
All methods of how to choose the right honey, which are mentioned in the worldwide web, have large errors in the results and are able to reveal only such obvious and gross violations in the production of honey, such as the addition of starch, chalk or heavy impurities. Your home chemical laboratory will not give more information about honey.
Honey can only be truly tested in a certified laboratory by studying its composition. Excessive sugar content will mean that the bees were fed sugar syrup. In honey heated during packing more than + 40C, there are no active trace elements and vitamins. Excessive amount of water indicates that the honey is immature and may deteriorate.
When answering the question of how to check honey, we recommend following simple rules:
1) buy honey in trusted places. It is best to have a beekeeper friend or, if not, in a store whose reputation you know.
2) pay attention to the packaging. It should be airtight and neat.
3) on the packaging of honey in the store, the place and date of collection of honey, compliance with GOST, certification according to ISO 22000: 2005 (the latter means a high level of safety of food production at the enterprise) must be indicated.
4) honey should not delaminate, there should be no liquid on its surface
5) if there is an opportunity to taste honey, be sure to do it. The taste of honey should not have unpleasant extraneous shades, and the color and smell of honey should correspond to the declared variety.
Visual assessment methods:
- If honey is liquid, evaluate its viscosity, the slower the honey flows into the jar, the less water it contains, which means it will not ferment. There is no need to check crystallized honey for moisture content, such honey will not deteriorate (provided it is stored correctly).
- Despite the fact that crystallization also leads to honey layering, as the crystals sink under their weight to the bottom of the jar, this process looks natural and the honey layers practically do not differ in color.
- White spots may also appear on honey – this is the release of glucose.
- The color variety of honey is striking in the number of shades. Amber, yellow, light, dark honey. In any case, the color of the honey must be pure and natural. Acacia honey, as a rule, is light yellow in color, flower and sunflower honey have a rich amber color, buckwheat, coriander, chestnut and mountain herbs of more intense woody shades from light brown to almost black.
The taste of honey varies from sweet-caramel (in acacia) to tart-astringent (in buckwheat), but in any case it is a pure aroma without any acidity. The smell of honey should only be fresh and floral.
Basic rules when choosing honey:
Honey should smell good;
Honey should not have any sour taste or odor.
Honey shouldn’t be too cheap;
Incorrectly dissolved honey (transfer from a solid to a liquid state can be done only at a temperature not higher than 40 degrees) does not crystallize at all.
Crystallized honey is stored better, so don’t be afraid to buy candied honey
Try to buy honey from a trusted seller.
Where to buy honey
You can buy honey in various places: in a store, in a market, at a beekeeper, on the track. The best choice would be to buy honey from a beekeeper you know. He will not cheat, and you will get real honey directly from the apiary (which is often cheaper).
However, not all townspeople are lucky to have beekeepers as friends. where to buy honey in this case? We advise you to buy honey in large stores; strict quality control of products arriving on the shelves ensures that all honey in retail chains is repeatedly checked. in addition, it makes no sense for large manufacturers to take risks and sell a deliberately low-quality product, this threatens them with a damaged business reputation.
We strongly advise against buying honey on the highway, here you run the risk of an overheated and absolutely unnatural product. There is no quality control here.
Almost the same is the case with buying honey on the market. Thinking about where to buy honey and choosing a market, be prepared for the fact that you may not be shown the veterinary and sanitary passport of the apiary. There are simply no guarantees of purchasing high-quality honey.
02 April, 2021
We distribute gifts
Until June 30, when buying in the Wildberries online store, you will receive a
01 April, 2021
Let’s welcome spring together with Galagancha!
We present tasty and healthy Galagancha sweets in bright and romantic packaging
09 October, 2020
ImmunUP – a novelty from the Research Institute of Honey and Bee Products
A novelty based on honey with valuable bee products, extracts of medicinal